Friday 21 September 2007

Public emissions

As we marched into Wimbourne we were greeted by school children and locals at Queen Elizabeth School. The Headmaster told us the school is responsible for 3 per cent of carbon emissions in Dorset - a huge amount - although a new, much smaller emitting building, is being built to replace it.

In one event earlier on the march all the attendees were asked to pledge to “use my fair share of the Earth’s resources”. I did not feel able to make the pledge.

In terms of stopping the worst effects of climate change, using my fair share would mean emitting less than 1 tonne of carbon dioxide a year. In the UK we emit 10 tonnes of carbon dioxide per person.

I know I will not emit less than 1 tonne of carbon dioxide this year or next. Any time I use electricity it is from a national grid which gets more of its electricity from fossil fuels. I live in a rented home which has gas heating, and needs it. And, like Queen Elizabeth School, government and company services and infrastructure on which we depend lie outside my immediate control.

Tackling climate change requires us to act as a society. It is not possible to tackle as individuals.

Distance covered so far: 894 miles

No comments: