Monday 30 July 2007

The news

We had a rest day on Monday 30 July and I took the opportunity to wash my clothes, cut Chira, mine and Mohammed's hair, and even sample a local Northumbrian ale. I also relaxed by reading the Guardian, New Scientist and my emails.

Not that this was a break from climate change. The Guardian reported that the Environmental Audit Committee is set to issue a report arguing the climate bill should set a target of at least 80 per cent reduction in emissions by 2050, and that this needs to include aviation.

The New Scientist had an article by James Hanson, a famous climate scientist, arguing that sea levels could rise by 5 metres by the end of the century and therefore there needs to be a radical reduction in emissions starting straight away.

And in my emails I could catch-up on BAA's attempts to ban members of environmental organisations campaigning on climate change, including the World Development Movement, protesting at Heathrow. The request for an injuction is to be heard in court on Wednesday.

I wonder if a 5-metre sea-level rise would take out Heathrow or any of BAA's other airports?

No comments: