Thursday 12 July 2007

Intro

For the next three months I'm going to be walking round the UK as the World Development Movement activist on Christian Aid's 'Cut the carbon' march. The plan is to walk 1,000 miles as part of campaigning in the UK to get the UK government to drastically reduce our greenhouse gas emissions.

But along the way I intend to report on the best local beers, friendliest towns, highest number of SUVs, messiest roadkill, and much else beside. I don't know if it will be fun enough to keep the reader interested, but I'm certainly excited.

It all kicks off on Saturday 14 July in Belfast, where we will put our lives in the hands of a few sailing boats and set-off across the Irish Sea to Troon in Scotland. There are 18 of us on the march; 10 from the UK and eight international marchers. My sea-sickness tablets are packed, but I suspect the contents of my stomach will see more of the sea than I would like.

Until my next post, I suggest you check-out www.wdm.org.uk/aroundtheworldin80protests which takes you on a journey showing that protest is alive-and-kicking around the world.

4 comments:

Alex Jones said...

Hi Tim,

Hope you're looking forward to feeling ill as you sail over to Scotland.

Looking forward to seeing you in Yorkshire.

Alex

Pete said...

Good luck on the walking! - there's a big blue blob over Belfast on the BBC weather map on Sunday http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/nireland/
so either it's raining hard, or it's blue skies and sunny!

Seyan said...

Best foot forward!
Surprised you are not walking on water but enjoy the sailing.
Seyan

tullio said...

hey tim,
thought it was about "walking" and you've started by "saling"? ... cool! if i new it i'd do this bit of the march!!!
tullio